CADDO PARISH FIRE DISTRICT 5
The first known type of fire protection was in 1837, when a volunteer bucket brigade was organized with the men in the brigade furnishing their own buckets and forming a line from the nearest water source to the fire. September 11, 1839, nine days after the first council meeting of the city, the first fire regulations were passed pertaining to blacksmiths, bakery shops, maintenance of chimneys, etc. There was a fine of $5.00 for each and every offense. The first Shreveport volunteer fire company was formed on July 23, 1849, but that is all that is known.